Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Permethrin Warning

Permethrin is an insecticide used in and around U.S. homes and some topical tick preventatives. I just learned that K9 Advantix is one brand that contains this toxin. Permethrin has been classified by the FDA as a possible carcinogen (cancer causing agent).

While other products do, of course, use insecticides as well, I have not yet been made aware of their possible carcinogenicity. Needless to say, I will be trying another product during our peak flea/tick season.

Learn more about Permethrin at http://www.pesticide.org/Permethrin.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Hi Loella - Thanks for providing us pet parents with this information. I've been researching alternative methods to K9 Advantix since I have heard that there are more than one cancer causing agents in it. Here's a site that I've visited http://www.greenpaws.org/index.php but they don't give alternatives. Have you found anything that would be a good alternative? I'm following you on Twitter (I'm @estanczak) if you would like to connect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here: