We've finally been dug out from almost 30 inches of snow but still expecting more. I realize I am overdue for my annual cold weather safety reminder for our canine pals.
Here are the highlights:
- Provide adequate shelter; preferably indoors.
- Exercise outdoors only as weather permits. In extreme weather, play some fun indoor games.
- Watch The Feet for irritation from salts and chemicals used on sidewalks and streets. Even just ice alone can damage pads.
- Provide outerwear as required for your dog to protect against precipitation. Remember to never leave a dog unattended in any kind of “clothing”.
- Antifreeze is lethal if ingested.
- Keep dogs on leash to prevent them getting lost or into harmful substances.
- Do NOT leave your dog unattended in a car.